14 Ways to Cure Acidity At Home
Published by : connectedh on 03, 2017 for ConnectedH
Acidity occurs when there is excess secretion of acids in the gastric glands of the stomach, producing gas, bad breath, stomach ache and other symptoms. It can be caused due to a long gap between meals, empty stomach or excessive intake of tea, coffee, smoking or alcohol. We experience heartburn or acid reflux or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) when the secretion of acids is more than usual, which is normally triggered when we eat a heavy meal or spicy foods. Instead of reaching for antacids, there are various home remedies that you can use to get rid of acidity:
(Source)Basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea due to its soothing and carminative properties. Simply eat some basil leaves at the first sign of acid upset. Be sure to chew them thoroughly. Another option is to boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water and then let it simmer for a few minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
(Source)The anti-inflammatory properties in ginger help treat acidity. Ginger juice can also neutralize stomach acids.
- During acidity just chew a slice of fresh ginger.
- You can also put some fresh ginger slices in a cup of boiling water, let it steep for a few minutes and then drink it.
- Even a spoonful of ginger juice taken two to three times a day can provide relief from acidity.
(Source)They are a rich source of potassium and help keep the level of acid production in your stomach in check. They are high in fiber content which helps speed up digestion, preventing the recurrence of acidity. They contain natural antacids that can act as a buffer against acid reflux.
- Eat a ripe banana for some relief. You could also eat an overripe banana to beat an especially bad bout of acidity, as they tend to contain more potassium which makes it the perfect antidote.
(Source)Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of plain buttermilk, also called chaas, and consume it to relieve stomach ache caused by acidity.
- You can simply drink plain buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for best results.
(Source)Tulsi leaves help stimulate your stomach to produce more mucous. It has antiulcer properties and reduces the effect of gastric acids.
- Chew on five to six tulsi leaves when you suffer from acidity. It is a great way to beat the discomfort you feel.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- Simply mix 1-2 teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it once or twice a day.
- You can also take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, and chase it with a glass of water.
(Source)Jaggery aids digestion and becomes alkaline in the digestive system, thus reducing stomach acidity.
- You can buy jaggery at most Indian or Asian ethnic grocery stores.
- After each meal, suck on a small piece of jaggery until acidity subsides. This remedy is not suitable for people who have diabetes.
JEERA OR CUMMIN SEEDS
(Source)Cumin seeds can also be used to treat acidity as cumin works as a great acid neutralizer. Also, it aids in digestion and relieves stomach pain.
- Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds and stir it into a glass of water. Drink it after every meal.
- You can also boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water, strain it and then drink the water after your meal.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder and some sugar in one-half cup of water. Drink it on an empty stomach.
(Source)Cinnamon is good for your digestive health. It works as a natural antacid and helps dispel stomach gas.
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water. Bring it to a boil and then allow it to steep for a few minutes. Drink this cinnamon tea two to three times a day.
- You can also add cinnamon powder to your soup or salad.
(Source)Milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach and give you relief from acidity. Milk is rich in calcium, which prevents build-up of stomach acid.
- Simply drink a glass of cold milk to prevent or soothe acidity problems.
(Source)Cloves can help alleviate acidity and dispel gas due to their carminative effect that increases hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Contrary to the popular belief, acidity can be caused due to low stomach acid too.
- Chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices are released into your system.
- Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help minimize acid trouble and freshen bad breath that often accompanies this problem.
MINT LEAVES OR PUDINA
(Source)Pudina help slower the acid content of the stomach and improves digestion. It has a cooling effect which helps reduce the pain and burning associated with acid reflux.
- If you feel an attack coming on chop some mint leaves, add them to a pot of boiling water and drink this water after it cools. You could also try mint to calm indigestion.
(Source)Fennel has carminative properties that aid digestion and help relieve stomach gas.
- Simply chew some aniseed after eating a heavy or spicy meal.
- You can also steep one or two teaspoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water. Strain and drink it a few times a day.
(Source)Amla is a kapha and pitta pacifier apart from having high amounts of vitamin C that helps in healing the injured stomach lining and oesophagus.
- Have one teaspoon of amla powder twice a day to help keep acidity at bay.